Princeton University: 200 Elm Drive
Princeton University - 200 Elm Drive
The former Boilerhouse at Princeton University, constructed in 1928, is an excellent example of the Collegiate Gothic style prevalent on campus. Unfortunately, the building had been expanded in 1959 with a large masonry addition that obscured the original entry.
The University wanted to rehabilitate it for new uses. Based on numerous studies, a later building addition was removed and new floor levels inserted within the original structure?s shell. By doing so, the Department of Public Safety now occupies the basement and first two floors. The third floor is dedicated to the Office of Design and Construction. On the roof, the existing conveyor house was renovated for re-use as mechanical and storage space. The interior spaces of 200 Elm Drive create an interesting dialogue between the existing industrial character of the building and the crisp, modernist aesthetic of the new offices.